• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ban appeal + admin complaint
Smile 
~1700 PDT
Ban reason: "stop using that bind"

[NF]Happy and I had a chat before hand about who was right. 

Context: I was in the Killhouse FFA server, which I regularly go to, having some fun with the W1200, which I regularly do. 

Long ago, I learned that double weapon swaps for reload cancel can be made faster by binding a key to be "weapnext; wait 2; weapprev;", and using it, I was able practice speeding up my reload cancels as well as bolt & pump action spams. I can empty an M40 in under 2 seconds, and a W1200 in under one second, by pressing some combination of keys that is very hard to describe because it took me over two weeks to perfect it.

As per usual, I was doing relatively well (2nd place) with my quasi-automatic shotgun, but unlike usual, someone was complaining about it. An individual, whose username I do not recall, claimed that I was using some sort of hack. I tried to reason with him, but he did not seem to comprehend my reasoning, for lack of language proficiency or plain intelligence. Then, [NF]Happy told me to stop using the bind. I promptly asked him on what grounds he's asking me to stop, to which he replied that it gave me an advantage over other players. I reasoned that if anything that gave me an advantage over other players is not allowed, then people should not be allowed to have better computers than other players either. I told him this, and asked him to point to a rule he can cite. He does not do so, and attempts to warn me (failing, because he mistyped my username). I continue to play, and respond reasonably when prompted. He kicks me, successfully, and I rejoin and resume playing the way I had been. He informs me that I must stop using the bind because he asked me to. I then reasoned that by that logic, I might have to send nudes, simply "because he asked me to". My memory of the rest of the incident is slipping away, but based on this alone, he issues a 24-hour ban titled "stop using that bind". Of course, I do not actually think that people should not be punished for having better computers, or that people should be required to send nudes simply because an admin said so. I use these only to explore the reasoning behind [NF]Happy's request that I stop using the bind. Other admins in the past have been perfectly okay with it, and have even defended me when other players tried to provoke me because of it.

More details are in your server chat log, if you do save those sort of things, and I recorded a brief demo between the time I rejoined after the kick and the time of the ban. In this post, I may have intentionally or unintentionally left out parts of the conversation which I thought were irrelevant to my case. Parts of my recollection may suffer from chronological errors. 

I do believe that this is an instance of abuse of administrative power, as [NF]Happy failed to cite a rule that I was supposedly violating, and issued a ban based only on his intuition. He does not believe that these are grounds for the removal of his administrative privileges, but I do. It is inadvisable to have someone in power who does not uphold any set of rules and fails to use logical reasoning.

However, I'm open to the possibility of my reasoning being wrong, and the possibility that someone may point it out to me; as well as the possibility that [NF]Happy will realize his mistake and have a change in mindset, in which case removal of privilege may not be necessary.

Attached Files
.zip   happy.zip (Size: 266.77 KB / Downloads: 11)
I have nothing against the double switch bind, and while it is in a way unfair vs players using the W1200 normally, you are right in that there are a lot of factors in this game including having a better PC that give an advantage as well.
It's a bit of a gray area really. Happy is an admin in training and I don't blame him for using his judgement in this case. Obviously it won't happen again. 

However, if an admin asks you to stop you need to be respectful and stop. Have you seen those videos on youtube where some smartass gets pulled over by a police officer and thinks he can get out of a ticket, then doesn't comply and proceeds to get arrested? 
Instead of asking for a ban you could've listened, hopped off, then came here asking if the bind is ok, just like you would comply with a police officer and then take it to court if you felt that it wasn't justified. That would've made things go much smoother with far less drama.

Your ban is only for 24 hours and will remain until it expires.
(06-12-2017, 03:00 AM)[NF]Contrary Wrote: However, if an admin asks you to stop you need to be respectful and stop. Have you seen those videos on youtube where some smartass gets pulled over by a police officer and thinks he can get out of a ticket, then doesn't comply and proceeds to get arrested? 
Instead of asking for a ban you could've listened, hopped off, then came here asking if the bind is ok, just like you would comply with a police officer and then take it to court if you felt that it wasn't justified.

The difference between what happened to the guy who got a ticket and what happened to me is that I didn't break any rules. I specifically asked for a clarification of which rule I might be violating and he didn't give a relevant answer. Following through on your analogy, I would have been illegally detained on the grounds that I look "suspicious", then found guilty of obstruction of justice simply for continuing to be "suspicious". I've seen several actual admins confirm that the bind is okay. Had I come here to ask about it, it would analogue to me getting off the streets to go home and contact law enforcement about whether being "suspicious" was illegal, knowing perfectly well that it isn't, and that the officer citing me for it is pulling a fast one on me. By the time someone responded, I'd have wasted days waiting for it, only to know that I had done nothing wrong.

I'd like to incorporate a little true anecdote from my life.
I was in high school, going to a Saturday theater rehearsal. There was another event occurring at our school at the same time, and part of the street leading up to where I needed to park was barricaded and guarded by police, to make space for that other event. Our theater director had specified that we would be allowed into the parking lot despite the event, and gave us signed notes to prove it. I showed the note to the police officer and asked to be allowed through. He refused to allow me through, despite acknowledging that I had a pass. Off the top of his head, he said that by letting me through, he would endanger the participants of the other event (of which none were in sight at the time). I complied and parked much farther away, then proceeded to walk to rehearsal. On my way there, I crossed the street where the barricade was, and I was there just in time to see that officer moving the barricade to allow someone else's car through. Infuriated, I asked him in a faux calm manner "So they don't endanger anyone?" to which his reply was a pathetic "Thank you for telling me how to do my job." 

I understood perfectly right then that his bosses were to blame, for giving him very specific and shortsighted instructions (such as "only let people through if they're with [the other event]"), coupled with unquestioned authority. When people are allowed to exercise power without providing any reason beside authority (e.g. a parent that says her son must be back home by 9 pm "Because I said so!"), they begin to use their power without any moral or legal guideline. 

One last thing: "if an admin asks you to stop you need to be respectful and stop" - you've made the same mistake that [NF]Happy made. Something that an admin asks me to do isn't automatically what I am required to do in order to be respectful. There is such a thing as respectful disagreement. He failed to provide grounds beyond simple authority for his request, and so I had no reason to comply. At no point did I break respectfulness because though I provoked his wrath by challenging his authority, I treated him as an equal human being by not using derogation. 

I will concede only when I'm made aware of the exact way I have broken a rule or engaged in disrespect of a fellow human being.
Thought I'd throw in that analogy but you do make a fair argument, I'll give you that haha

Technically you did break the following rule: 

* No hacking, exploiting glitches, going under maps, etc.

The game was obviously not designed for you to be able to shoot a pump/bolt action weapon so quickly, so that would be a glitch.
Again, I personally have nothing against the bind but I also find that's it's about 50/50 in regards to who thinks it's a form of cheating or not.

I will lift your ban since both sides are wrong in one way or another. No need to go back and forth.

Hope that did not deter you from continuing to play on the server(s). Cheers.
(06-12-2017, 04:33 AM)[NF]Contrary Wrote: I will lift your ban since both sides are wrong in one way or another. No need to go back and forth.

Thanks!

(06-12-2017, 04:33 AM)[NF]Contrary Wrote: Technically you did break the following rule: 

* No hacking, exploiting glitches, going under maps, etc.

The game was obviously not designed for you to be able to shoot a pump/bolt action weapon so quickly, so that would be a glitch.
Again, I personally have nothing against the bind but I also find that's it's about 50/50 in regards to who thinks it's a form of cheating or not.
I was kind of surprised that I could have missed the rule saying "no exploiting glitches", so went back to the server to check. Here are the rules that display on killhouse FFA, word for word.

Rule #1: No racism or offensive language
Rule #2: No clan stacking, members must split evenly between the teams
Rule #3: No use of aimbots, wallhacks, norecoil, or any other cheats
Rule #4: No abusive language or behavior towards admins or other players
Rule #5: No offensive or potentially offensive names, annoying names, or in game [...?]
Rule #6: No recruiting for your clan, your server, or anything else
Rule #7: No advertising or spamming of websites or servers
Rule #8: No profanity or offensive language (in any language)

The rule you mentioned about no exploiting glitches is not currently displayed. If you plan to implement it soon, then I would obey until I convince you how bad of an idea that would be XD
Lol fair enough, I'll let you know if it changes.
[Image: iagree.gif][Image: fight_kungfu.gif]
[Image: cooltext195075046290826_zpsrmnwt9bq.png]